The World Movement for Democracy is a network of activists, practitioners, scholars, policy makers, and funders who work to advance democracy.
Since 1999, we have held biennial global assemblies in different regions of the world to hold discussions and workshops on democracy topics. We also facilitate networking among participants and undertake projects to protect civil society.
We aim to:
- Strengthen democracy where it is weak
- Defend democracy where it is longstanding
- Support the efforts of pro-democracy groups in non-democratic countries
The World Movement Secretariat is located at the Washington, DC-based National Endowment for Democracy (NED). We are led by an international Steering Committee of distinguished democracy practitioners.
- World Movement Global Assemblies
- Global and Regional Networking
- Defending Civil Society
- The Civic Space Initiative
We welcome as participans all networks, groups, and individuals who share the principles and values in our Founding Statement.